Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Laugh, Cry, or Pass the Mashed Potatoes

I get the extroverted part of me from my mother. As kids, we used to get so embarrassed in church when she gave a talk and used her "drama voice." I gave a talk in church last Sunday and when I was reading it out loud the day before to be sure that it fit in the time constraints I heard that voice come through my lips and promised myself it would not happen, ever again!

The most dramatic moment in our family was the night when my mother yelled at my father during dinner that she wanted a divorce. My three oldest siblings were already moved out of the house so it was only my older sister, me and my little brother in attendance.

For a moment there was that horrifying silence that follows an outrageous statement. Then, almost all at once the three of us reacted: my sister laughed, my brother cried, and I said, "Pass the mashed potatoes!"

My parents are still married and just celebrated their 60th year. I wonder sometimes if my mother ever remembers that moment when she was sure she would finally get my father's attention. Apparently, I still do! Good heavens, I am naming my blog after it!!

Because, you see, there might just be a little drama in me after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment